With its development and service companies, KUKA Roboter GmbH in Augsburg is the leading manufacturer of robots for the European automotive industry. More than 40,000 high-performance, networkable KUKA robots are currently in use around the world. Every year, more than 6,000 employees from KUKA's major customers undergo training at the KUKA College in Augsburg where they learn how to operate and maintain modern industrial robots.
The KIM (KUKA Information Management) project focuses on the creation, management and publication of standard documentation, data sheets, specifications, product catalogs, training materials, tutorials and operating manuals.
The objectives of the project
- To introduce a media-neutral, XML- and database-supported editorial and publication system as part of a software development and integration project.
- To rationalize the way in which product documentation is produced andrevised and to put in place an organized system for filing and structuring this documentation.
- To optimize the quality of the product information as regards its consistency, completeness and relevance.
- To create and file the documents in a structured manner on the basis of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) XML standard, with a view to ensuring the reusability of data and the very highest level of media neutrality.
- To make the XML-structured documents available for other company applications via the editorial system's database interfaces and to ensure that content can be used on multiple occasions.
"Our decision to produce publications with XML and SVG was the right one. It has allowed us to put in place an efficient process for technical documentation."
Christian Jarc, Teamleiter Information Center, KUKA Roboter GmbH